Just a month after the global unveiling of the the next flagship galaxy device, Galaxy S5 and announcing there will be global rollout on April 11. Samsung today officially launched the Galaxy S5 in India along with the trio of wearable devices including the next generation, Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo and Galaxy Fit.
The Galaxy S5 which looks basically an upgrade to the last years Galaxy S4 with almost similar design language. The notable addition being finger print scanner and water-resistant casing along with bump in hardware specs. Samsung has announced there will be two version of Galaxy S5 – one powered by the company’s own Exynos chipset and another using Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. In India, it has opted for the Exynos version of Galaxy S5.
Other notable upgrade to the Galaxy S5 includes:
- a 16-megapixel rear camera boasting the fastest auto-focus (0.3 seconds), an advanced HDR mode and a selective focus feature.
- the Galaxy S5 also boasts a heart beat sensor. How it works? You just have to hold their finger next to the rear camera flash and the sensor will reveal one’s current heart rate.
- Battery life is a big issue with the bigger smartphones and Galaxy S5 includes a 2,800 mAh battery but further there is also an Ultra Power Saving mode, which strips all the running apps and bring the basic functionality of the phone along with making it black and white for optimum power saving. The company claims when the mode is enabled with only 10 percent battery is left, it will last up to 24 hours before getting completely drained. Good for emergency needs.
- A IP67 certified Water proof and Dust proof can survive occasional rains and water exposures.
- TouchWiz UI also has been improved in Galaxy S5
Samsung also launched the second generation Gear 2, Gear Neo and the fitness wearable device, Galaxy Fit. The Gear 2 has evolved much from the first generation Galaxy Gear and now uses Tizen OS instead of Android but will be compatible with many of the Galaxy devices. The difference between Galaxy Gear and Neo being the later does not include a camera.
Galaxy Fit looks sleek and beautiful with a flexible 1.84-inch OLED screen and its primary function being to let you track when you walk, run, cycle or hike. It also can communicate with a range of Galaxy smartphones via Bluetooth 4.0 technology.
Price of Galaxy S5, Gear 2, Gear Neo and Galaxy Fit
Samsung did not confirm the final price of the Galaxy S5 but mentioned it would be close to 51,500 INR. It will be available in stores from April 11 and on pre-booking will start on March 28. Again Samsung chose to release only thr 16GB version of Galaxy S5 in India.
Gear 2 comes at a price of Rs 21,900 and the Gear 2 Neo and Galaxy Fit comes with a tag of Rs 15,900