Amidst the release of Windows 8.1, Microsoft quietly launched Remote Desktop Apps for Android and iOS platform, allowing one to access Windows desktop right from smartphones and tablets.
As the name suggests, hooking on to the Microsoft Remote Desktop apps a user can connect to their desktop PC and access the information as well as control it.
The features of the Remote Desktop Apps include:
- Access to remote resources through your Remote Desktop Gateway
- Rich multi-touch experience with remote desktop protocol (RDP) and RemoteFX supporting Windows gestures
- Secure connection to your data and applications with breakthrough Network Layer Authentication (NLA) technology
- Simple management of all remote connections from the connection center
- High quality video and sound streaming with improved compression and bandwidth usage
The iOS version of the app talks of extra functionality “Easy connection to external monitors or projectors for presentations”
So next time when you are on the go and to retrieve a file stored in your desktop PC, now you know how to go about it right from your mobile devices. The Android Remote Desktop app is available in the Google Play store, and the iOS version is available in Apple’s App Store.
If you have trouble configuring the setup, move over to MicroSoft.com support to troubleshoot.